How To Fit An ADAPTIL Calming Dog Collar
Written by ADAPTIL Expert, published on August 17, 2023
The use of calming dog collars amongst pet owners is becoming more and more common worldwide. And it’s easy to understand why! With so many benefits and proven utility, pheromone collars for dogs are now a standardised solution for supporting anxious dogs and newly adopted puppies. But to maximise their efficacy and assure your dog’s comfort, it’s important to know how to fit one properly.
In particular, for those more prone to nervousness, fitting their ADAPTIL collar the right way will make all the difference. Our customers often ask about the best way to fit our ADAPTIL Calm Collar, so we’re here to teach you how in just a few simple steps.
How To Fit An ADAPTIL Collar - 6 Easy Steps!
ADAPTIL Collar instructions:
- Step 1. Make sure you have opted for the right size for your pooch. You should use your dog’s body weight to determine this (size S = <15kg and M/L = <50kg or ADAPTIL Junior for puppies <6 months).
- Step 2. Place the ADAPTIL Collar around your dog or pup’s neck with plenty of room to begin with.
- Step 3. Adjust this to make sure that it is fitted to their skin nice and snug. This may mean the fur needs to be parted if your dog has longer hair. Generally, you should be able to fit 2 fingers comfortably under the collar without it being too tight or too loose.
- Step 4. Once you have fitted one of our pheromone dog collars, you’ll need to cut off the excess part leftover from securing it. This can be done using scissors. Be careful not to cut this off too short and leave around 3 fingers of excess length from the fastening.
- Step 5. Now you’re ready to go on a dog walk! Do not attach the lead or harness to the ADAPTIL Calm Collar as this will cause it to break. Instead, fit the leash to another collar or harness your dog would normally wear on walks. Both the calming dog collar and walking harness can be worn at the same time, so long as nothing else covers or obstructs the ADAPTIL Collar. For the best results, the ADAPTIL Calm Collar should be uncovered.
- Step 6. Leave the collar on for 30 days to ensure it’ll provide constant reassurance to your dog. You can also leave the ADAPTIL Calm Collar on when your pup is swimming in the river or sea. So, no need to remove this unless you are bathing your dog with shampoo!
*Important note! If fitted too loosely, pheromone dog collars will not release the appeasing messages how they are designed to. This relies on your dog’s body heat to release the pheromones.
24/7 Support for nervous dogs
If you notice your dog is showing signs that they find certain situations challenging, it’s worth checking in with a veterinary specialist. As our ADAPTIL Collars are designed to be left on 24/7, these can be used to support your dog’s nervousness, both short and long-term. Paring this with consistent behavioural management and training is ideal to help them get the most out of the results. Just bear in mind that each dog is unique and the support they need will be different!
Whether it’s tips for using your ADAPTIL Calm Collar, how to product guides or you want to know more on the benefits of calming pheromone dog collars, we’re here to help. Our experts can guide you on any questions you may have, or you can simply sign up to our newsletter to stay up to date on the latest articles. Contact us online today or via our social channels.
Take The Quiz!
Following our expert tips will help to ensure your bond with your dog goes from strength to strength.
Make sure to join our community for weekly advice from our dog behaviour experts as well as product offers and competitions.
Legal notice The information collected is intended for Ceva Santé Animale and the group in order to manage your requests. This information can be shared with service providers in order to organize their management. In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations, you have the right to access, rectify and limit the processing of your data. You can also, in certain cases, object to the processing, withdraw your consent and request the deletion and portability of your data. For any request in relation to your personal data, please visit this page.