Pick the right size for your dog!
In general, if your dog is right on the cusp of the weight range indicated in our size chart, we would recommend that you size down.
Sizing can be tricky - do not hesitate to contact us; we'd love to make sure you find the right size for your pet.
How to put ThunderShirt on my dog for an optimal use?
ThunderShirt is designed to be very easy to put on and take off... no need for pulling anything over the head or threading the legs through leg holes. No specific training for wearing the jacket is required. Just working on them getting used to the jacket is beneficial before the stressful event, see how this is done below.
After you first receive your ThunderShirt, we recommend the following steps while your dog is NOT feeling anxious to help them get acquainted with the vest:
- Before putting ThunderShirt on your dog for the first time, place it on the floor and scatter treats around, so your dog discovers nice things as they investigate. This helps to build positive associations with ThunderShirt.
When placing ThunderShirt on your dog:
- Start by just draping the ThunderShirt over your dog, so they get used to feeling something on their body (especially if they have never worn a coat before).
- No sections of “hook fasteners” (the side of the fasteners that feels rough to the touch) should be exposed on the outside or against your dog’s fur if fitted properly.
- Chest straps should be loose around the neck as they have no gentle pressure effect. The neck straps are only intended to keep the ThunderShirt in place. They have no "gentle pressure" effect. Use the “two-finger” collar rule when applying the neck straps (i.e. easily slide two fingers between the neck straps and your dog's neck without pressure).
- Leave the ThunderShirt on for 5-10 minutes for the first time.
- Check your dog is comfortable and happy to move - you can offer treats to continue the positive experience and encourage movement.
- Use rewards for the first few uses of ThunderShirt when your dog is calm and looking relaxed.
Many ThunderShirt dog owners report that their dogs really
enjoy wearing their ThunderShirts, and many dogs even go on their own to where their ThunderShirts
are stored when a storm, or fireworks approaches or some other anxiety trigger happens!
How long can I leave ThunderShirt on my dog?
Most people say that their dogs really enjoy wearing their ThunderShirts and they are safe to leave on for extended periods of time depending on the issue. But, please note! We recommend removing ThunderShirt every one to two hours the ﬁrst few times to be sure everything is ﬁtting correctly and your pet is happy. Irritation or other issues are very rare, but it’s always best to be cautious. Always remove ThunderShirt at least twice a day if using for extended periods.
You’ll love ThunderShirt’s calming effect on your dog!
Are there any special sizing and ﬁt considerations for male dogs?
When ﬁtting ThunderShirt on a male dog, the straps that go around the stomach area should not cover or push on the genitals. Read more FAQs here.
How can I use with ADAPTIL?
Simply apply ADAPTIL Transport Spray onto the shirt. Spray it on the head end of the ThunderShirt so it's closer to your dogs face, make sure you do this 15 minutes before you place the shirt on your dog. Adding ADAPTIL Adds another layer of calm, ADAPTIL Transport spray.
ADAPTIL and Thundershirt offers your dog 2 different types of support. They can compliment each other and can be used together!