5 Tips For Using Your ADAPTIL Calm On-the-go Collar
Written by Adaptil, published on April 18, 2023
If your dog or puppy is a little timid or nervous, it may be because something has changed in their life that they are uncertain about and need to adjust to.
If you have just brought your new puppy home, they will need to adjust to a whole host of new things in their life - travelling in a car, a new house, new people (adults and children) - a totally new environment.
Or, if your older dog is showing signs of anxiety when out for a walk, or if he is scared of cars or loud noises, they will need help to adjust and accept different situations they may encounter in daily life.
WHEN SHOULD YOU USE AN ADAPTIL CALM ON-THE-GO COLLAR?
There are some common situations where ADAPTIL can help your dog get used to new things, supporting them with training and reassuring them in situations that they find stressful, for example:
- Travelling in a car: some dogs love to jump in the back of a car, because they know they are going for a long walk. However, other dogs may get nervous around cars, and you have to teach them that traveling in a car is nothing to be afraid of.
- Loud noises: most dogs get agitated if there are fireworks around; they have super sensitive hearing so will pick up on loud noises from a distance that you may not even hear. Take a look at our tips to help them feel more comfortable with loud noises.
- Scared of other dogs: If possible, try and work out why your dog is scared of other dogs, so you can help to minimise their discomfort and help them be more confident. Socialisation classes or puppy parties can be a good way to introduce younger pooches to other dogs. Equally, visiting a qualified dog trainer can help older dogs to adjust.
There are ways to train your dog to be less anxious, but you may find that using an ADAPTIL Calm On-the-go Collar can provide that extra support, indoors or outdoors, whatever the situation.
Mother dogs release dog appeasing pheromones from the mammary area. These are comforting messages which only other dogs can detect; they send messages of comfort and security which helps your dog relax and become less anxious. An ADAPTIL Calm on-the-go Collar emulates this feeling so, when worn, the dog carries these comforting messages with them so that new situations like traveling or meeting other dogs, feel less scary!
WHEN NOT TO USE AN ADAPTIL CALM ON-THE-GO COLLAR
Do NOT use an ADAPTIL Collar if your dog's problems are NOT related to stress; if they have not had proper training, or if they have had no stimulation like regular walks, or play times. An ADAPTIL Collar will only be effective as a support to training and canine well-being practices.
If you find your dog is house soiling, or showing aggression towards humans or other animals, you should consult your vet to rule out any underlying medical issues, as well asa qualified pet behaviourist.
HOW LONG DOES AN ADAPTIL CALM ON-THE-GO COLLAR TAKE TO WORK?
You should normally start to see results within the first week of your dog wearing an ADAPTIL collar - but remember every dog is different so you should expect to wait up to a month before you can assess any significant changes. Comforting messages start to be released once the collar is warmed up by the dog's body heat.
Each collar provides around 4 weeks of support but it should be worn all day, every day to get results.
TIPS WHEN USING YOUR ADAPTIL CALM ON-THE-GO COLLAR
- Check the fit regularly. Make sure the collar is not too tight or too loose (you should be able to get at least one fingerunderneath the collar - but more than 2 fingers means it's too loose!). Remember that puppies grow quickly, so make sure you have the right sizeand that the collar has room to expand with them!
- Don't attach the ADAPTIL collar to a lead. The collar is not designed to take the strain of a lead and will break. Use it as an additional collar around your dog's neck.
- Make sure it is not covered. If the ADAPTIL Collar is covered up, it will limit the release of the comforting messages and will be ineffective.
- Keep it dry. Remember to remove it if your dog is having a shampoo or going to swim. The collar will not work when wet; only put it back around your dog's neck when theyare dry again.
- Tip for placing the collar on correctly. Once you remove the collar from the packaging, fasten it loosely and place it over your dog's head; then tighten it so that it is fitting snugly to the dog's skin (if your dog has long hair, part fur so the collar sits next to the skin). Fix the collar inside the buckle and cut off excess once the collar is secure.
As a rule of thumb, sizes are:
o S = <15kg dogs (fits necks measuring up to 37.5cm)
o M/L = <50kg (fits necks measuring up to 62.5cm)
o ADAPTIL Junior fits necks measuring up to 37.5cm (which includes most puppies weighing up to 15kg)
Dogs can get anxious or stressed for a number of reasons, but with patience and a good training regime, supported by anADAPTIL On-the-Go collar,you will be able to help your best friend feel like a more confident, calm pooch!
Following our expert tips will help to ensure your bond with your dog goes from strength to strength.
Make sure to join our community for weekly advice from our dog behaviour experts as well as product offers and competitions.
Legal notice The information collected is intended for Ceva Santé Animale and the group in order to manage your requests. This information can be shared with service providers in order to organize their management. In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations, you have the right to access, rectify and limit the processing of your data. You can also, in certain cases, object to the processing, withdraw your consent and request the deletion and portability of your data. For any request in relation to your personal data, please visit this page.