What to do for your dog on fireworks night
Written by Adaptil, published on April 18, 2023
Hopefully you have been prepared and built your safe haven/den, plugged in your ADAPTIL Calm Home Diffuser and spoken to your vet if you feel they may need some medication as well. For more information see our blog on preparing for fireworks.
On the night there are a number of simple things you can do to help your dog stay calm around fireworks, by minimisingthe noise and flashes caused by fireworks that can stress your dog:
- Ensure they have access to their den at all times and make sure to provide toys, treats and playing games within it on the night.
- To increase the appeal of the den, an ADAPTIL Diffuser can be plugged in nearby. ADAPTIL Spray can also be applied to their bedding on the night to give additional support. The use of ADAPTIL (a synthetic copy of the dog appeasing pheromone) has been proven to reduce anxiety and help dogs cope with challenging situations, including firework events. It can be used alongside other measures required to manage the problem.
- Ensure easy access to water from the den as an anxious dog may pant more.
- Take them out for a walk/to the toilet before it gets dark so they are not caught unaware by early fireworks. The exercise will also help to calm them before the noises start.
- Act normally to help your dog be more settled. If they hide in a corner or under a bed, make sure to leave them alone and not try and coax them out. Do not ignore your dog, just be available for them if needed, keep calm and carry on (they will pick up on your stress if you are acting worried).
- Never punish them.
- Check their microchip is working and registered to the right address and keep dogs inside. Ideally owners should stay home with their dog.
- Keep the curtains closed, have the TV or radio on. This will mask the noises and flashes of fireworks.
- Keep windows and doors closed to prevent escape and lower noise levels further. Although ensure not to block access to a den or safe place by closing doors.
Following our expert tips will help to ensure your bond with your dog goes from strength to strength.
Make sure to join our community for weekly advice from our dog behaviour experts as well as product offers and competitions.
Legal notice The information collected is intended for Ceva Santé Animale and the group in order to manage your requests. This information can be shared with service providers in order to organize their management. In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations, you have the right to access, rectify and limit the processing of your data. You can also, in certain cases, object to the processing, withdraw your consent and request the deletion and portability of your data. For any request in relation to your personal data, please visit this page.