5 good practices to prevent over-attachment of your dog, while being 24-7 together
Written by Adaptil, published on April 18, 2023
24/7 together: 5 tips to prepare your dog for when confinement ends.In these special times, our dogs are very important family members that can comfort us during this challenging situation. Most of us are spending less time away from home, and in fact more time with our furry family. It is great to have more time with our canine companions and they enjoy the opportunity to be with us all day too.
For some of our buddies, that are already very attached to their family, this can lead to the belief that from now on we will all be together all of the time. Staying home alone gets more difficult for these dogs, as they are not used to it any more.
With the help of the German dog trainer Perdita L√ºbbe, hundeakamedie.de, we have created 5 easy training tips for you to prevent home-alone issues, when confinement ends and your normal routine restarts.
5 easy training tips to avoid home alone issues in your dog
1. Even if you are there 24/7: From time to time close the door to prevent your dog following you everywhere. Easy opportunities are when you are, going to the bathroom, cellar or bringing out the rubbish.
2. Use ADAPTIL Calm Diffuser in your home to relax your dog and help them stay alone more easily. ADAPTIL Calm also supports any kind of training as it helps your dog to learn better without being stressed out by the new situation.
3. If not already done: Create a place of total peace and calmness for your dog, where they learn to relax, e.g. a dedicated place to sleep at night in a quiet area of your house.
4. Train your dog to stay at a dedicated resting place and praise them for going there. Over time your dog will learn to go there intuitively while you are not there.
5. When returning to your dog: your return should be kept calm to avoid your dog becoming excited - your return should be a normal part of the day for your fluffy friend.
Following these 5 easy training steps to prevent issues while being home alone. This will help your dog settle much easier, when back to normal routine, the sooner the better !
Follow all our tips by subscribing to our newsletter #adaptilathome
Following our expert tips will help to ensure your bond with your dog goes from strength to strength.
Make sure to join our community for weekly advice from our dog behaviour experts as well as product offers and competitions.
Legal notice The information collected is intended for Ceva Santé Animale and the group in order to manage your requests. This information can be shared with service providers in order to organize their management. In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations, you have the right to access, rectify and limit the processing of your data. You can also, in certain cases, object to the processing, withdraw your consent and request the deletion and portability of your data. For any request in relation to your personal data, please visit this page.